“It was carved from the One Tree as a servant of the Earth and the Earth's Law.” --Lord Osondrea.The Staff of Law is an instrument of power, a tool for wielding Earthpower safely within the constraints of Law. The Staff of Law is a length of rune-carved wood, shod with iron at either end.
The Staff of Law was made by Berek Halfhand from a branch of the One Tree. During the Era of the Old Lords, the High Lord of the Council of Lords wielded the Staff of Law. The Staff was lost by Kevin Landwaster at the close of the Era of the Old Lords when he enacted the Ritual of Desecration. The Staff remained lost for centuries, until it was found beneath Mount Thunder by the cavewight Drool Rockworm during the Era of the New Lords.
The New Lords recover the Staff from Drool, but the Staff is lost again when High Lord Elena uses the power of Earthblood to confront the Despiser. When the Despiser raises Elena's shade, arms her with the Staff, and sends her against Thomas Covenant, he destroys the Staff with Wild Magic.
The Staff of Law can be used to exert Earthpower to perform works of thaumaturgy. However, because the Staff was meant to work within the constraints of Law, it is difficult, if not impossible, to do anything contrary to Law with it. The Staff has been used to manipulate weather, cure sickness, heal injury, and summon champions from beyond the Arch of Time.
The Staff is in some way an incarnation of the Law it was created to serve. By its very existence, the Staff supports and reinforces the Law. The destruction of the Staff actually weakened the Law, making the Despiser's creation of the Sunbane possible.
- Drool summons a rainstorm, which is stopped unknowingly by Thomas Covenant's use of Wild magic.
- Drool later uses it to turn the moon blood-red.
- Drool uses the Staff, combined with the Illearth Stone, to warp nature, producing unnatural creatures. Described perversions are a three-winged bird and a cyclops hawk.
- Elena uses it fighting High Lord Kevin and in the process is killed and the staff is lost again.
- Elena later uses it in the service of Lord Foul and creates an unnatural winter in the Land, she is stopped by Thomas Covenant and the staff is destroyed through contact with the white gold.
- Linden Avery uses it to erase the Sunbane, and on numerous other occasions, especially to heal.
- Confronting Roger Covenant under Melenkurion Skyweir, she uses it to fight him and the croyel.
- With the Krill and White gold and her Staff of Law she uses it to resurrect Thomas Covenant.